What is Digital Economy?
The “digital economy” is a term for all of those economic processes, transactions, interactions and activities that are based on digital technologies. The digital economy is different from the internet economy in that the internet economy is based on internet connectivity, whereas the digital economy is more broadly based on any of the many digital tools used in today’s economic world.
Advantages of Digital Economy:
- Removal of Black Economy: When the transactions are made digitally, they can be easily monitored. Any payment made by any customer to any merchant will be recorded. This way, there will be no means for illegal transactions to occur. By restricting the cash-based transactions and using only digital payments, the government can efficiently expel the black economy.
- Increase in Revenues: This is one of the most obvious and common benefits of the digital economy. When the transactions are digitized, monitoring sales and taxes becomes convenient. Since each transaction is recorded, the customers will get a bill for their purchase, and the merchants are bound to pay the sales tax to the government. This, in turn, increases the revenue of the government – thus resulting in growth of the overall financial status of the country.
- Empowerment to People: One of the biggest advantages of moving towards digital economy is that it gives an empowerment to the citizens. When the payments move digital, each and every individual is bound to have a bank account, a mobile phone, etc. This way, the government can easily transfer the subsidies directly to Aadhaar-linked bank accounts of people. In short, people no longer have to wait to receive the incentives and subsidies that they are bound to receive from the government. This feature is already in place in most cities. One example of that would be the LPG subsidy that government gives to the common people. This subsidy payment is done via bank transfers these days.
- Paves the way to e-governance: The quicker, safer, and more efficient alternative to traditional governance, e-governance will be the ultimate outcome of the digital economy. From birth certificate to death certificate, everything is available online – thus it is convenient for people to access the information they need on the go. Digital economy will definitely pave a way to e-governance, where delivery of all government services would be done electronically.
- Creation of new jobs: The digital economy has a lot of potentials to enhance job opportunities in new markets as well as increasing employment opportunities in some of the existing occupations in the government. This way, the unemployment rate in the country is bound to decrease.